President Donald Trump had nearly clinched an agreement with TikTok’s Chinese owner ByteDance Ltd. that would spare the popular app from a US ban, but the deal was scuttled after China withheld its approval following this week’s tariff announcement,
The White House had finalized a TikTok divestment deal earlier this week before President Donald Trump’s “Liberation Day” tariff rollout flipped the Chinese government’s position on the issue, the Washington Examiner has learned.
President Donald Trump says he is signing an executive order to keep TikTok running in the U.S. for another 75 days
China reportedly backed out of a deal to sell TikTok to U.S. investors a day after President Donald Trump announced wide-ranging global tariffs.
A federal law mandated that TikTok be sold to a non-Chinese company or leave the U.S. by Jan. 19. Trump signed an executive order shortly after taking office to delay the ban until this weekend. But legal experts say the law only allows for one 90-day extension of the deadline if a deal has been made and Congress has been notified.
The White House was nearing a TikTok deal, but China halted the agreement after Trump announced wide-ranging tariffs, a source told AP.
Tump said in a post that his administration has been working ‘very hard on a deal to SAVE TIKTOK,’ and has made ‘tremendous progress.’
President Donald Trump said on Friday that he will give ByteDance, the China-based company that owns TikTok, a 75-day extension to find a non-Chinese buyer after talks of a potential deal fell through following Trump’s drastic tariffs on China.
President Trump signs executive order extending TikTok's U.S. operations amid ongoing negotiations and Chinese pushback.